Re: [NSW] Automated "Stand clear, doors closing"

C. Dewick said in message <8bj8iu$l7u$1@jedi.apana.org.au>, I therefore
quote:

>Yes. I have worked on one of the sets which had the new equipment, and
>it definitely does result in delays, especially the fact that if the
>guard needs to open the doors again during the 3-second DVA announcement
>period (before they actually close) the time delay cancels and starts
>again as soon as 'door close' is pressed once more.

Why couldn't it be set up as such that there is a separate mechanism to
control the announcement and the actual door closing? Or just do what they
did with the Tangara, and all of our suburban rollingstock in Melbourne -
put in beeps. Though, if passengers know that a train will be delayed by
forcing doors open, then it might stop it from happening, either out of
consideration, or out of some person in a blind rage going up to them and
beating them on the head with a newspaper.

>It more or less is, but there were no announcements back then afaik -
>just door interlocks which prevented the train from powering if any door
>was held open. I actually think the interlocks are a good idea, because
>then it's easy for all the other passengers to identify who's delaying
>the train and take their own action to rectify the problem... 8-)

Door interlocks are a very good idea, along with a door beeper that wont
stop until the door is shut. The driver/guard will also get indication of
this, and can act accordingly if it continues.

When in Sydney recently, I was appaled to see many trains go past me,
during peak our, with someone holding a door open - this poses a great risk
to the people's safety. Even if the train is delayed for 30 seconds, I
think safety is more the important issue here.

Back down in Melbourne, we went through the exact same process in 1993ish.
Of course the main teething trouble was people holding the doors open, but
these same people learnt in a small matter of time, that other travelling
passengers don't really tolerate their train being held back. 12 months
ago, there was a situation, not really involving the door interlock though,
where a person forced a door open while a train was moving (he was outside
the train and wanted to get on, and succeeded). The driver soon put a stop
to that, stopped the train since it still had some platform space, released
the doors and made the announcement "would the person who dangerously
forced his way onto the train please get off the train now". The driver
then went on to say "Passengers, I will not be moving this train until the
person who forced his way into the front carriage gets off this train, i
apologise for any inconvenience caused by this person". Only a matter of
about 30 seconds until he was humiliated to get off.

>It'll also help to promote a gradual change in passenger 'culture' since
>anyone who jumps into a partly closed door and gets stuck will delay the
>train since the driver won't be able to power, and the more times it
>happens the more the other passengers will start to think that it's a
>bad idea. Hopefully anyway.

It will, it just needs time. "Passengers shall not force doors. Penalty: 3
hard years on a Melbourne Hitachi".

>About 75 percent of minor delays to train running are caused by
>passengers btw...

Passengers are about 95% of your job too (: (The other 5 percect can be
attributed to lunch/leave/time actually not spent on trains/etc)

Regards

Michael

(Who has hijacked yet another NSW thread it seems)

--
Michael Kurkowski. / Email: mailto:mk@netstra.com.au
Rail Enthusiast.  / Web: http://www.netstra.com.au/~mk

 ** Don't steal. The government hates competition **