Re: [NSW] Automated "Stand clear, doors closing"

Michael Kurkowski <mk@netstra.com.au> writes:

>Why couldn't it be set up as such that there is a separate mechanism to
>control the announcement and the actual door closing?

I don't know - no drivers or guards had any input into the design (as usual)
of the modifications until it was completed and installed in a few trial
sets.

Or just do what they
>did with the Tangara, and all of our suburban rollingstock in Melbourne -
>put in beeps.

But they are not going to have the same effect. The whole purpose of the 3
second DVA is to warn people that the doors are about to close, and if
someone still attempts to board the train after the doors have started to
close I'd say they are just plain stupid. I start back at work today and I
do not tolerate any passenger attempting to board or get off a train after
the guard has started to close the doors - regardless of the reason.

It's better to cause a large delay and have the person arrested in front of
all the other passengers than just let the person on or off and then say
nothing. At least that way the message gets re-inforced to all the other
people watching.

> Though, if passengers know that a train will be delayed by
>forcing doors open, then it might stop it from happening, either out of
>consideration, or out of some person in a blind rage going up to them and
>beating them on the head with a newspaper.

Exactly. Many Sydney commuters (especially idiots in suits) think they can
jump on and off a train whenever they feel like it. 8-)

>Door interlocks are a very good idea, along with a door beeper that wont
>stop until the door is shut. The driver/guard will also get indication of
>this, and can act accordingly if it continues.

I've always advocated door interlocks. Another 'only because of the
Olympics' project I think...

>When in Sydney recently, I was appaled to see many trains go past me,
>during peak our, with someone holding a door open - this poses a great risk
>to the people's safety. Even if the train is delayed for 30 seconds, I
>think safety is more the important issue here.

Well, once again that's another Sydney thing. And another reason to cause a
large delay by having the person(s) arrested if possible.

> 12 months
>ago, there was a situation, not really involving the door interlock though,
>where a person forced a door open while a train was moving (he was outside
>the train and wanted to get on, and succeeded).

In Toronto, Canada, even leaning on the doors trips the interlocks. I saw
the two drivers on a train physically drag several people off a train and
throw them into the arms of waiting police because the continually flaunted
the door interlock warnings.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport