Re: Robina-Coolangatta extension "essential"

"David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
lpxC4.422$jb5.393482@news0.optus.net.au">news:lpxC4.422$jb5.393482@news0.optus.net.au...
> RODS (ajb2001@hotmail.com) won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
> > XPT (Long Distance) passengers are not really the issue. The Gold Coast
Line
> > is a suburban passenger line, which is not only used by commuters and
> > visitors to travel between Brisbane and the Gold Coast,
>
> It's an interurban line, not a suburban line. Subtle difference.

As I said in my original posting, the Gold Coast line is also used by
suburban passengers within the Gold Coast city (but obviously not as much as
interurban passengers to Brisbane).

The Gold Coast is a rapidly developing area. Blind Freddy can see that
ripping up the original line in 1964 was somewhat short-sighted (then again
who would have guessed the huge population and tourism growth since
then...). It would also be short-sighted to dismiss the idea of continuing
the railway past Coolangatta.

The stations at Ormeau and Coomera aren't highly used at the moment, but
there is no shortage of new sub-divisons in the area, not to mention the
pending completion of the 8 lane motorway which will further encourage rapid
growth in the area and in time the state government's investment in these
new stations will be justified. In the same way I beleive the extension to
Coolangatta (and beyond) will also be justified.

RODS