Re: Tall tales (and true)

tony bailey wrote in message <38da8b54@pink.one.net.au>...
>And when 42's were tried on the Newcastle expresses - it was alleged that
no
>one in authority could understand why they could not keep the table.
>
>After much talking and investigating, it was finally decided to ask the
>Eveleigh drivers why they could not run the table
>
>The alleged answer? " We've never had speedos before!"
>
>Tony Bailey

When the 42's were introduced on the short north they did not do as well as
38's on the Flyer for a very good reason.... they were not as good as the
38's.

Reason 1: A well fired and well driven 38 could generate well over 2000 hp
at the drawbar. A 1800 hp 42 delivered only about 1600 at the drawbar. In
most services which involved stop/start/accelerate or low speed drag
service, the ability of a the electric tranmission to deliver full
horsepower of the diesel at low speeds made up for the lack of high-speed
"grunt". The Flyer was an ideal service for a good steamer, with few stops
and most up grades being taken at highish speed courtesy of momentum.

Reason 2: The 42's, like most other del's, are limited as to top speed by
final drive gearing, in this case 70 mph, so they could not make up time by
running faster than this. Elsewhere this ng there is a discussion about how
fast 38's ran, with a couple of suggestions in the 90's and one claim of a
ton. Personally I have timed an 80mph +, but that could be inaccurate.

On the other hand, I could well imagine crusty old drivers being frightened
witless when the speedo in the new-fangled 42 told them just how fast they
were going, resulting in an outbreak of speed-board obedience, and
concurrent failure to make the 'table!