Re: Tall tales (and true)

> From: "Derick Wuen" <cullend@webone.com.au>
> Newsgroups: aus.rail
> Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:13:35 +1100
> Subject: Re: Tall tales (and true)
>
> On the NSWGR in steam days there was a grade for mechanical branch employees
> called "salaried driver". These were professional footplate men, proud of
> their skills and art, and were an awesome presence to any junior firemen
> unhappily rostered on the same trip as one.

I always thought that "salaried drivers" in NSW were the scabs that helped
break a big strike years ago. If my memory is correct I'm sure they weren't
looked up to but rather treated as the scabs they were.

My favorite tall tale is the one about the extended tucker break.

VR crews used to get a 20 minute meal break on all trains except passenger
and livestock, (is there a difference?)

So this train stops at ______ (insert any station name) and "starts tucker"
after 20 minutes the signalman pulls the signal off but the train doesn't
move, after waiting a few minutes he goes up to the loco to see what's going
on. The driver says "we're taking 40 minutes today because I my false teeth
at home" :-)

An American favorite of mine:

(Note, cabooses in the US often had speedometers)
So this train is going down a long gentle grade at a considerable speed. The
conductor gets on the radio and asks the Engineer (driver) "How fast you
going up there?
Engineer, "60 MPH, right on the limit"
Conductor, "well I'm doing 70 back here"
Engineer, "We'll wave at you then as you go past"

Mark