Re: Q class for Freight Australia!

In article <38d4c219$0$11420@echo-01.iinet.net.au> "Graeme" <gvrail@thatsent.com.au> writes:
>From: "Graeme" <gvrail@thatsent.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Q class for Freight Australia!
>Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:04:54 +0800

>Westrail is very revenue hungry and would at the right price lease a Q class
>to FA.  FA would certainly be in front paying a premium hire rate for a Q
>even if it is only for a short term as the Q's are not only very fuel
>efficient compared to the older Victorian G's but because their higher
>horsepower and wheelslip controls would make them a very close match to
>almost doing the work of two "G"'s.  My sources say that it is also being
>done with the support of Clyde (General Motors) to help in promoting new
>sales of their latest GM products as there are a number of operators looking
>at rationalising their motive power fleets with high horsepower/hi-tech
>units just as Westrail and QR have done on narrow gauge.

>--
>Graeme Vellacott
>PO Box 322
>CANNINGTON 6987
>AUSTRALIA

For those interested here are some load figures for Q class.
These load figures were derived from Westrail roadside load trials.
They represent the worst case scenerio, ie train stopped on grade, water
poured onto the rails in front of train , loco lifts load from stop.

 ONE IN  	40	1274	100	3171
 	42.5	1358	105	3311
	45	1442	110	3458
	47.5	1526	115	3598
	50	1610	120	3731
	52.5	1694	125	3871
	55	1778	130	4004
	57.5	1855	135	4144
	60	1985	140	4270
	62.5	2023	145	4403
	65	2100	150	4529
	67.5	2184	155	4781
	70	2275	160	5000
	72.5	2345	200	5000
	75	2415
	77.5	2492
	80	2569
	82.5	2646
	85	2723
	87.5	2800
	90	2884
	95	3024

1:150 MAINLINE 1:100 PERTH TERM AND LEIGHTON 1:52.5 LEONORA  1:60 ESPERANCE

As you can see, these are a pretty gutsy loco, comparable to an NR.
Will be interesting to see what FA do with them.

cheers
MD