Re: [NSW] Maldon - Dombarton Line (was Cumberland line patronage)

Rod Gayford wrote in message <8aumfc$8kl$1@news.eisa.net.au>...
>Has anybody noticed how bad City Rail has got since Scully took over as
>Transport Minister. I seem to think he might be aligned with the TWU who as
>you know are anti-rail. It was another TWU Transport Minister that canned
>the part built line to Wollongong off the main south line at the behest of
>the TWU who were afraid their members who drove coal trucks would lose
their
>jobs. I think it was Unsworth
Ummm...

I think the Maldon - Dombarton line was junked by the newly-elected LIBERAL
government in 1988.  Their "razor gang" reported that this was the least
justifiable of all the former Wran/Unsworth Govt. projects.

I am not commenting on their economic analysis.  I don't think it's fair to
the TWU to suggest that Premier Greiner or Transport Minister Baird were
stooges of the TWU in particular.

Rgds

Bill