Re: Status of Keswick Station in Adelaide

In article <w0Uz4.19$K44.345648@news0.optus.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: Re: Status of Keswick Station in Adelaide
>Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 22:20:12 GMT

>james_ccj@my-deja.com won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
>> The only concern is they aren't planning to run shuttle trains in
>> between Keswick and North Terrance instead shuttle bus is continue to
>> be use.

>Probably something to do with the lack of broad gauge at Keswick terminal.

>Cheers
>David

AFAIK all of Keswicks platforms are still dual guage, but there is no BG
connection at the southern end.
At the northern end BG trains can only go towards Woodville or onto the Gawler
line.
It would be easy to re instate the southern end BG connection by simply re
installing the BG crossover under the Anzac Highway bridge which was removed
when the guage conversion occurred.
The northen end is a bit harder but not impossible.
A crossover under the Port road bridge is all that is needed.

Whilst I agree that the costs of developing Adelaide Terrace to accomodate
long SG trains would be very difficult, I am not sure that developing a bus
interchange at what is effectivly a privately owned capital city station is
any better.
Is the alleged $20M cost based on building a new platform long enuf to hold
the longest IP or simply getting SG into one of the currently existing
platforms.

Maybe the best solution is for the SA Govt to buy back Keswick from either GSR
or DOT or who ever owns it.
I suspect that its owned by who ever owns all the rest of the now unused
railway stations in SA.

In relation to GSRs trains does GSR have to pay to use the platforms at
Central,Spencer St ,Alice Springs and East Perth.

Also how much did it cost to abolish South brisbane and bring the SG into Roma
St, ( a slightly differant scenerio I admit ) .
One then has to wonder if GSR ever want to run the IP all the way to Brisbane
will it fit into the single SG platform, very unlikely I suspect.

MD