Re: Status of Keswick Station in Adelaide

> What is the difference between a broad gauge and a standard gauge
> Overland?????? - and don't state the obvious.
Routes taking between Ararat and Melbourne(Via Ballarat for the case of
BG Overland)

> Terminating at a City Centre like Adelaide station should be an
objective
> with all inter state rail journeys - it is one of rails selling
>points.
Too costly, SA transport department reckon it's not worthy of invest 20
million dollors  for such project. GSR don't like it either since they
have to shut carriages back to their Keswick yard for servercing.
All GSR's carriages maintanence and service facilities are in Keswick,
I don't think there is enough land for construct carriages yard near
North Terrance nor TransAdelaide willing to share its facilities to GSR.

Unless SA government or Fedral government willing to fund for such
project, you would see Overland head into North Terrance.

Rather then talk down Keswick station SA government is planning to
improve it to a intermodal transport center like Roma Street. Bringing
Coachlines into the station and share booking facilities, waiting rooms
with GSR. Other plans they are looking at improving the parks around
Keswick, make Keswick as an attraction, bringing people into Keswick
area.

The only concern is they aren't planning to run shuttle trains in
between Keswick and North Terrance instead shuttle bus is continue to
be use.

> Funny, I would relate Keswick to Millions Point, and Adelaide to
Sydney
> Central!

Sydney Central is good enough, in fact lots of offices and
accomadations are around Central area. Keswick is more or less like
East Perth/South Brisbane or Sunshine(vic)/Strathfield(sydney)

--
Cheers
James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/