[Sydney, Cityrail] Friday 17 March Chaos

This Friday, 17 March, in excess of 80,000 Catholic school students will be
descending on Olympic Park. Many of them will be travelling by train. My
information is that up to 40 regular services will be cancelled on the day
to allow for special trains to run from various parts of Sydney. Trains will
be leaving from outlying areas (Cronulla, Sutherland, Liverpool) about
8:00am to arrive at Olympic Park no later than 10:00am and return journeys
will commence from about 1:00pm.

Two specific examples: a train to leave Fairfield to go express to Olympic
Park; a train to leave Riverwood at 8:38, stopping Kingsgrove, Bexley North
and Bardwell Park and the express to Olympic Park (I don't know if it will
need to run via the City Circle to get to Olympic Park!)

It would seem that there will be morning peak hour chaos for regular
commuters, although the afternoon may be realtively unaffected.

In addition to the special trains, a number of schools will be travelling by
bus, so the area around Olympic Park would be well avoided.

Does anyone have any further information on what will be happening on
Friday?

Peter
"Chaos, panic, disorder - my work here is done."
Sydney - City of the New Millennium and home of the 2000 Olympics