Re:[Syd] Original S10 (was [Melb] So what's with the 4D??)

The Railway Rasputin II wrote in message
<38CE28F6.2EE03CDF@fastlink.com.au>...
>3 out of the 4 were converted but only one of these made it into traffic
>now getting arround as T4799. The other two, according to my souce, were
>converted but were scrapped.
>3804 is at the RTM.

OK.  The Tulloch 8DD set entered service late in 1968, and was gone by about
1975.  For much of the time, only two or three of the power cars were
available for service, and some strange compositions like 6DD + 2 Comeng
("sputnik") single-deck cars ran around.

C3801 and C3803 became T4797 and T4799, and T4799 is still around.  Sometime
around 1984, the futility of these conversions became apparent, and C3804
was offered to the RTM.  BTW, 3804 was the first double-deck power car to
operate in the world.  The trailers (T4839, T4840, T4843, T4844) from S10
also seem to be still around.

Even though these cars were definitely experimental prototypes, I think they
lasted longer in regular service than the unlamented Melbourne 4D.  In any
case, 5/8 of the set is still in service over 30 years later!

Rgds

Bill