[NSW] Skipping stations - is it a common practice?

Hi,

I just caught a 13:49 (13/03/2000) East Hills bound (Hornsby 6 car R41) from
Central to Kingsgrove - which I think was late as it ran behind the early
Bankstown line train, who normally runs after the East Hills train. The
indicator board and the normal recorded announcements at Central said it was
stopping at Redfern, Sydenham, Tempe, Turella.........all to East Hills.

But when the train stopped at Sydenham, there was a sudden change of tune
from the guard and the recorded announcement at Sydenham, then announced the
next stop is "Kingsgrove, Riverwood and all stations to East Hills." The
train then skipped stations from Tempe .........until it reaches Kingsgrove.

When the train arrived at Kingsgrove, I then asked the guard what was the
reason for not stopping at Beverly Hills and she said "the train was running
late..."

Ironically the recorded announcement at Kingsgrove Station said "next stop
Beverly Hills, Narwee.....all to East Hills."

I didn't see any trackwork today on the City Circle line but I may be
wrong..... The other suggestion is special train runs today which I doubt
it - but I could be wrong again.

I like to know is how often the trains skipped stations (average per
day/week)? And is it a common practice if the train is running late as I
heard a lot from the media "bashing" about the trains skipping stations -
please verify?

Thanks = Cheers.
Danny Mok
dan@flex.com.au