Re: B80 Murraylander colours/R711

Hi all,

Further to my previous message of 29/2/00, I was in Ballarat again today
(Sat 11/3/00). Situation is unchanged, B80 is back in the workshop for final
fitting of cab equipment and minor adjustments. No word yet when it is being
moved to Melbourne for transfer to SG and test runs.

On another note, R711 was in steam today; this afternoon it was observed
shuffling back and forth in WCR's yard following work on the cylinders. Was
also without its smoke deflectors, giving the loco a distinctive English
appearance. Made quite a display to several railfans gathered on the
adjacent footbridge, as the engine was made to work against the brakes. Lots
of smoke and loud exhaust on several occasions, enough to stir the locals.

Maybe Craig can confirm the rumor that R711 will be based at South Dynon
Loco shortly for steam crew training.  Word going round suggests it will run
the Geelong goods for a 2 week period to provide sufficient crews for the
the Easter Steam Extravaganza?

Cheers

Peter J. Sweetten
Craigieburn, Victoria
E-mail: aeropics@tig.com.au
ICQ # 9637565
View my Rail Images Australia website at:
 http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~aeropics/rail.htm