Re: Entertainment Car on Overland, Ghan and I.P

In article <3nhhcs0t5trb8ulg83se1br38cdtgj1pd0@4ax.com>,
  "< Tell >" <telljb@netozemail.com.au> wrote:
> "David Dowd" <valley123@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone remember when the entertainment car used to run on the
Ghan?
> > Why did they ever take this car off, or did they>?
> >
> > I think that that would be a draw card for some people, being able
to play
> > the pokies while being whisked through the Australian outback!
> >
> > What did this car have in the way of Entertainment and if possible,
could
> > they still use it or is it out of date ect.
> >
> > Where is this car or cars and are they in running order?
> >
> > I think this car would be a bit of a novelty for some!
> >
> > SOMETHING FOR G.S.R TO THINK ABOUT!
>
> From an old crusty CR/ANR/AN throwback, the pokie car
> on the Ghan was OK when South Australia did not have
> them, after all, the Commonwealth owned the track and
> trains back then exclusively, lock stock and barrel.
> No State shares in the National hauler then.
> So the SA government could do SFA about them, BUT they
> were getting ready to introduce them.
I asked around and someone suggested entertainment/pokie car introduced
when Central Australia line opened for the standard gauge Ghan train.
(1980?) I doubt about accuracy of this source, I would say pokie car
introduced around Ghan's 1st refurbishement(1989).

Just some extra information: Pokie car is NOT own by AN, it is operate
by a separate company.

> EVERYBODY has access to them today.
>
> Stuff the poker machines, how about some dome cars.?
> You can play pokies anywhere, but how about seeing this
> great country of ours from something better than a
> restricted passenger car window.!
>
> ----Terry Burton
> << Remove net after @ for email reply. >>
Totally agree! relaxation is the main theme of these long distance
trains, what's the point of having gambling involve stressing yourself?

Since there is no dome car handy how about borrow ASR's round end
lounge? (or V/line charter fleet's "Murray") or some end-platform car
so you can enjoy open air?

--
Cheers

James