Re: NSW Chamber of Commerce supports VHST

Dave Proctor (thadocta@spambait.dingoblue.net.au) won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
> David Bromage wrote in message ...
> >
> >Sydney will reach saturation within 15 years. A VHST to Melbourne and
> >Brisbane would push this back to about 40 years. It would allow Sydney,
> >Canberra, Melbourne, Brisbane and Coolangatta to take more international
> >traffic once the domestic and some regional slots are released.
> >
> >Regional routes such as Sydney - Albury are also growing.
> >
> >Rail isn't going to take longer distance traffic sych as Melbourne -
> >Brisbane. 6 hours on a train doesn't compete with 2 hours by air.

> Never said it would, in fact, I made this same point the last time I
> extolled the virtues over VHST compared with YSBC (I think that is what they
> have designated the Badgerys Creek airport). But then, BNE-MEL air traffic
> does not have an impact on YSSY traffic anyway, does it?

Not any more. The airlines worked out some time ago that you could
actually run long distance domestic flights without having to stop in
Sydney. :)

> >The entire VHST project would cost less than a second airport.

> Even it went MCY-BNE-OOL-SYD-CBR-MEL?

SYD-CBR-MEL only. VHST-N would be additional to this.

Cheers
David