Re: NSW Chamber of Commerce supports VHST

Rod wrote in message <8a54cf$mgb$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...

>and the old VFT consortium went to great pains to point out that the
>Melbourne Sydney corridor was conciderably bigger market than the original
>TGV Paris Lyon corridor!!
>
>So forgive me for possibly repeating other's posts...but in all probability
>Building a high speed link between Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne would
>reduce the need for extensive Government spending, by reducing activity at
>Sydney airport , negating the building of a multi billion dollar airport
>facility elsewhere in NSW. And most importantly give very ordinary
>Australians the opportunity to travel long distances....at a price lots
>could then afford. There is nothing worse than 24 hours on an XPT, unless
>you'r in the Drivers cab of course.;o)
>Why the Hell don't they build the bloody thing all the way to Brisbane..AND
>NOW!          .the mind boggles!

Actually, from the Sunshine Coast, through Brisbane, the Gold Coast,
Newcastle, Sydney, Canberra to Melbourne would remove so much air traffic
from Sydney airport that there would be no need for a second airport for a
very long time (if ever).

The problem is, the federal government does not mind spending all of that
money on an airport, but it won't spend exactly the same amount of money on
a railway, even though the railway would have far greater social
consequences.

Dave