Re: NSW Chamber of Commerce supports VHST

James et all

Firstly ..why would this neceessitate job losses...Qantas would probably
redirect "Air" resources into other routes and services.

Secondly ..this asumption is on the basis that bums on any seats between Melb
and Syd would stagnate... A new infrastructure such as high speed trains would
probably garner muchgrowth simply fromincreased  traffic between
cities...possibly more people will simply take more trips..as it would become
economically and time orientatedly possible.

There will certainly be some snatching of custom from those currently driving
or taking busses.

At the end of the day Qantas is a transport company that happens to primarily
use planes!!

Speedrailwould not only provide a greater choice of travel, but the greater
choice TO travel.

I would be very interested to know the realtive profitability of Melb-Syd for
Qantas compared to other domestic routes.

cheers >:~)) Richard