Re: The future of broad gauge was Ouyen - Pinnaroo line

In article <l4Ww4.530$co1.327458@news0.optus.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: Re: The future of broad gauge   was Ouyen - Pinnaroo line
>Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 22:13:37 GMT

>Lineman (grime@dcsi.net.au) won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:

>> "David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
>> FCGw4.1553$fh4.496458@news0.optus.net.au">news:FCGw4.1553$fh4.496458@news0.optus.net.au...
>> > david (david@nmit.vic.edu.au) won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
>> ? Where
>> >
>> > The metropolitan and commuter lines (Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, Seymour
>> > and Traralgon) would remain BG, and probably Warrnambool. There is no
>> > economic justification for regauging the commuter lines.
>>
>> Apart from the benifits of standardization.

>What are the benefits of years of disruption and BILLIONS of dollars to
>convert the metropolitan network and give exactly the same service as you
>get now? Suburban trains don't run beyond the end of their overhead wires,
>so there's no need to regauge.

>If the benefits were great enough and the cost was right, Adelaide would
>have converted its suburban network.

>> All they have to do is order the new rolling stock with standard gauge
>> bogies,convert each line as the rolling stock arrives and the jobs done,

>Who is going to pay for it?

>> its
>> not all that difficult especially where there are up/down tracks or
>> alternative routes to minimise dislocation.

>In Melbourne, there are no alternative routes. The system is entirely
>radial.

>> Its all been done before and the
>> experienced people who did it are even more experienced and are just waiting
>> to go.

>It's been done before on country lines with relatively little traffic
>(compared with suburban lines).

>Cheers
>David

Yes , I agree with David here, I cant see any real economic benefit in guage
converting the whole State.
There are a few lines which would possobly justify the cost , namely Heywood
to Mt G (only if the other side was guage converted ) and possibly Mangalore
to Tocumwal (only if Tocumwal to Naranderra was re opened.),and thats about
it.
Guage conversion of existing lines is only justified if the guage conversion
results in a large increase in traffic which would otherwise not exist,and Im
not aware of any lines that fall into his category.

MD