Re: INDIAN PACIFIC

james_ccj@my-deja.com wrote in message <8a065t$j0i$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>Probabily not, Ghan/IP's coach class is WAY cheaper than flying.

Present fares, yes. But we are talking about Virgin, who have stated that on
the main corridors - BNE/SYD, SYD/MEL, MEL/ADL there will be a minimum of
50% of fares at around $100 - this is ultra competitive with the rail fare,
and there is no reason to presume that fares to and from Perth will be any
different.

>Also
>small towns in SA and western NSW stll very much depend on IP and
>Ghan.

Except you cannot get on those trains - I tried to get a seat on the IP to
BHQ from Sydney for later this month - and I was unable to do so.

>Virgin would likely to effect Sydney-Brisbane/Murwillumbah/Melbourne
>XPT services and Overland.

And this shows a lack of understanding of the aviation market. There is
little competition on the cross-country market. There is a total of nine
services per week from Adelaide to Perth by land transport.
Greyhound-Pioneer have daily coaches, and GSR have two Indian-Pacifics. With
this situation, it is easy to see why the evil duo (Ansett and QANTAS) have
kept airfares as high as they are.

Given a little bit of competition on this sector (provided by Virgin) and
not only will the market grow, but there will be a migration from road/rail
to air.

Dave