Re: INDIAN PACIFIC

I was refering to small towns like Peterbrough, Cook, Galdstone(SA)
I was surprised GSR didn't take your booking as according to then a
trip to Broken Hill should be acceptable.

> And this shows a lack of understanding of the aviation market. There
>is
> little competition on the cross-country market.
I don't understand avaition at all! that's why I subscribed to this
group! I can't understand why people like stuff that crash all the time
(except Qantas) and tie you with seat belt for hours, cost heaps and
give you stuff worst then dog food on board.

>There is a total of nine
> services per week from Adelaide to Perth by land transport.
> Greyhound-Pioneer have daily coaches, and GSR have two Indian-
Pacifics. With
> this situation, it is easy to see why the evil duo (Ansett and
QANTAS) have
> kept airfares as high as they are.

Is it worthy to run IP daily? Yes it is, but with current finacial
situation of GSR and Fedral government refuse to fund rail service,
it's impossible to do so.

> Given a little bit of competition on this sector (provided by Virgin)
>and
> not only will the market grow, but there will be a migration from
road/rail
> to air.

Look on the bright side. In the early 90s Queenslander/Brisbane XPT
survived from Compass. Ghan survived from competitions with
coach/airlines. With the right marketing skill and strategies , rail
can survive from airlines.  Currently Virgin has no plan of expanding
towards WA and SA. IP and Overland might get a bit of breathing
space...for a while.

--
Cheers

James