Re: Letter to the Canberra Times

Nobody <dweebken@NOSPAM.excite.com> wrote in message
39546c25@pink.one.net.au">news:39546c25@pink.one.net.au...
> Although I entirely agree that Canberra not exactly my favourite place in
> the world, David did have a point. Canberra is big on tourism (After all,
> you can visit the world's biggest roundabout - parliament house), business
> (many major businesses hold bases here, and many negotiations with
> Government happen here), and increasing in population (is it about
> 300000??) - around 1/10 the size of Melbourne.
I think slightly bigger then Wodonga-Albury and Geelong, Gold-Coast
Yes, Canberra is a nice place to visit as well as for education.
Pity no direct train run from Melbourne to Canberra. due to long winding
route and reverse needed near Goulburn, on top of that train service from
Sydney don't attract lots of people either due to higher charge and slow
running time and inconvinent location for Canberra station.

> I dont think heavy rail would suit Canberra - in terms of space it is too
> small. However the roads are certainly capable of taking a light rail
> system. A recent survey showed that Canberra's air had more toxins in it
> than Sydney or Melbourne air (must be all those politicians breathing),
and
> there are other environmental and practical issues coming forward.
>
> If Canberra builds trams though, they better not be like Sydney's!
No hoepfully not.....Sydney spent millions of dollors on that thingy and
wan't a successful move.

But Canberra have proposal for LRT service and has been going on and off for
years. Latest plan I hear of was buying all 2nd hand trams from everywhere
to reduce new purchase cost.

Cheers
James