Re: Westrail Freight sale

> From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
> Newsgroups: aus.rail
> Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:20:45 GMT
> Subject: Re: Westrail Freight sale
>
> Double stacking is on the way out, even in the US. You can't double stack
> 9' containers.
>
> Cheers
> David

I'm so glad I've resisted the temptation to add GOD to my kill file. It
really is amusing to see him make such an idiot of himself on such a regular
basis.

First of all, TTX has just ordered another 1000 double stack sets bringing
their total double stack inventory to about 45,000 cars, this of course
includes single wells as well as 5 packs. So the claim that double stacking
is on the way out in the US is absurd.

Secondly, here in the US there are different types of double stack. ISO
containers come in standard 20 or 40 foot lengths, just about every shipping
line handles this size exclusively and they can be double stacked quite
nicely thank you very much. Domestic containers do not come under the
restrictions imposed by international carriers and the present max in the US
is for 56 foot containers which also can be double stacked quite nicely.

108 inch high containers (feet are never used to define height of
containers) can be double stacked in most parts of the US and the only
reason they couldn't be in Australia would be due to local loading gauges or
local equipment restrictions.

Was GOD a scriptwriter for Monty Python?

Mark