Re: Westrail Freight sale

In article <394b2628$0$17023$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au> "Rod Young" <freight_man@hotmail.com> writes:
>From: "Rod Young" <freight_man@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Westrail Freight sale
>Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:18:59 +1000

>>  But in a joint partnership with another organisation(s)?  I wouldn't rule
>> out QR or Freightcorp just yet.....
>>

>> --
>> John McCandless
>If any Government Railway was going to get WA, it would be QR...but
>It did say that they would exclude any Government offers. The WA Parliament
>was, according to the Press, very deliberately excluding other Government
>owned Railways. If ATN, ASR or Freight Australia wish to bid, they will need
>to set WAGR up as a separate Railway, with a Head Office in
>WA. They will be putting in Safeguards to ensure that WA is not stripped of,
>for example ,Locomotives to operate on the East Coast.
>Only advantage for say, F/A is the Economy of running an East West Service
>and being able to use the engines in both states, thus maintaining the
>status-quo, or for short term heavy traffic. As an example they might move
>the wheat harvest at different times, allowing perhaps 6 extra G Class into
>WA for a month to move a crop. and vice versa

>--

>Rod Young
>http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/
>Foundation President and Co-Founder
>Hobson's Bay Model Railway Club Inc.
>Operators of Australia's only 'Australian' Model Railway Show
>Every Easter in Melbourne.
>and my page
>http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/rods

Interesting that there will be limitations on loco movements.
If I got Westrail I would move all the Qs to the East coast where their high
HP and pulling power would benefit me the most.
They would be ideal for the Syd - Melb run ,or dragging trains thru the
Adelaide hills.
The WA SG rail network is almost dead flat,and doesnt need 4000 HP locos.

MD