Re: Colume 8 SMH

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:16:12 +1000, "Bill McNiven"
<wmcniven@gunzel.ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>There was a DVA announcement at Sydney (Steam Platforms) Platform 2 at 09:34
>on Sunday morning "The train standing at platform 2 is now due to depart.
>Stand clear please."  At that stage, around 150 passengers were waiting for
>the 09:35 Armidale Explorer.  The cars actually arrived at 09:40.

This happened when I went to despatch someone on the Melbourne
overnight train a while ago.  There were two series of announcements
interleaved, apparently coming over the same speakers. One was a DVA
announcement saying the train was about to leave and the other was a
live announcement from a real person, sounding rather harried, saying
that the train hadn't even been docked yet.  The human announcement
appeared to be coming from someone on the platform, but where does the
DVA announcement get driven from?

Geoff Lambert