Re: Colume 8 SMH

A few years ago on an up Warrnambool pass (pre WCR), the conductor
announced, just as we were passing through Nth Melbourne, that the train
would be arriving at Spencer is street "in about 20 minutes".  When it was
pointed out that it was more like 2 minutes, he apologised, saying that he
normally worked the Warrnambool end of the service, not the Melbourne end.
Maybe he was just getting in early in case of the normal delays between Nth
Melbourne and Spencer Street??

Kym

PS - What safety reason would have stopped the train going to the platform
at Alice Springs???

James C wrote in message
<394c5cef$0$17008$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...
>8 years ago when I took the Ghan, the train arrived at Alice SPring 3 hours
>early. (thanks to EL53)  The train have to wait somewhere outside town
>before it can reach the stattion for 3 hours because of safety reason.
>
>The conductor apologised for looking at the same scenvery for 3 hours.:-)
>
>Cheers
>James
>

>Tom <hammerheads@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>394c54e2$0$17018$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:394c54e2$0$17018$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
>> While reading the yesterday (sat17/6) SMH I came accross these funy
pieces
>> of news.
>>
>> "AS I ARRIVED on Platform 10 at Central the other night to catch the 5.42
>> Newcastle train," says Andrew, of Castle Hill, "an announcement was being
>> made: All aboard please, this train is due to depart. Stand clear, doors
>> closing. The platform was crowded, but the train? Nowhere to be seen.
>> CityRail must be trying humour as the best way to calm angry commuters.
On
>> this occasion it seemed to work."
>>
>> CITYRAIL'S present problems reminded Damian Keane, of Enfield, of a train
>> trip he took in South Korea. He caught the express from Seoul to
Kwang-ju,