Re: www.virginblue.com.au

"Eric Cartman" <erkV69@erk.au.com> wrote in message
394b6bdb@news.iprimus.com.au">news:394b6bdb@news.iprimus.com.au...
> Let's not forget that CountryLink would not expect Victorian passengers to
> use the services in the manner that VLP services are used. The main
purpose
> of the XPT is not to serve rural Victoria where VLP operates. It is to
link
> Sydney - Mlebourne and rural NSW.

This is (sort of) correct. BUT......

..... if it is to link Sydney with rural NSW, there are going to be empty
seats from (wherever NSW happens to be for these passengers) and Melbourne.
Since the taxpayer ultimately provides the subsidy for Countrylink to
operate, Countrylink really should be trying to get every last cent that it
possibly can. If this means reducing the price of Albury to Melbourne seats
to the same level as VLP charge, then this is what they should do. After
all, it is better to carry 20 people for $30 than 10 people for $40.

It is also worth bearing in mind that the Voctorian government paid for XPT
carriages to enable the Sydney - Melbourne service to be operated by XPT's.
I am not sure if there is any revenue split between NSW and Victoria now
that corridor management is in place, given that Victoria pay for some of
the costs (Dynon drivers from Melbourne to Junee) it is to be expected that
they should also get some of the revenue. Increasing the revenue for the
train would increase the revenue going to Victoria, without them having to
do anything to get it (CL is providing the service after all).

Dave