Re: Swanston Trams & W-Class

In the U.S., we called it, "losing the ground", and it was very common
and really is no big deal.  Actually it became quite a sought after
effect (with wheels arcing, sparks flying, and loud bangs coming from
the mini-explosions when the wheels lost contact with the rails) on
enthusiasts' tours, where running on lines that were little used
increased the chances of a build-up of foreign material in the
flangeways.  Of course the fans knew what was happening and had enough
sense not to touch the car and ground at the same time. But in everyday
service with normal riders, if a hapless boarding or alighting passenger
did make contact with both the street and the tram at the exact same
instant they would be greeted with a 600 DC volt shock, but only if the
tram was completely up off the rails. Hardly enough for electrocution,
but good for a really good jolt (DC current throws you away, AC holds
you).  A similar situation occasionally occurs with trolley busses in
wet weather.  (I was thrown off the roof of a streetcar in a carbarn
once when I carelessly touched the trolley pole, so I know what kind of
shock it is!) What makes the St. Kilda Road situation a little different
than other areas where grounding may happen is that there is no auto
traffic running on the tram tracks to blow the accumulation of sand off
and a build-up is inevitable. Management would have to be totally stupid
or unconcerned to not know how, why, and where it happens.  And it
doesn't take a wizard or rocket scientist to know how to get rid of it.
It also doesn't take a scrubber car or some space age new way to get rid
of it.  An old fashioned broom will sweep it right away, and the people
who drive around the system all day in their utility trucks could very
easily stop at each car stop and sweep the accumulation away.  This
seems to be just another case where reason and logic is totally ignored
by the Melbourne press, Swanston management, Swanston crews, and
certainly not the least, Mr. (I've done more to disparage trams than any
management or anti-tram people ever could) Digrigorio.