Re: Swanston Trams & W-Class

>Just out of curiosity, dropping sand on the tracks is a move to increase
>traction, so saying that dropping sand on the tracks will help is implying
>that the W's are *locking* their brakes.  Is this indeed the alleged
>problem?

Swanston drivers were apparently instructed to drop more sand if they
were having problems, but this time of the year a lot of sand must be
used anyway because of the conditions I mentioned (leaves on the track
etc...)

The fact that Swanston did not realise the outcome of this shows that
they don't know the system that they are running (although some Sydney
CityRail fans would say they don't know what they are doing
either..but I digress..)

The "alleged" problem with the W's is not that they are locking their
brakes, but that the brakes are not working at all.
Locking the brakes (or locking up the wheels) is the reason sand must
be used, because if they lock up the driver does not have control over
the tram (and it puts really annoying "flats" on the tram wheels)