Re: Why no diesel-electric cars and trucks?

mack <mack@ncifcrf.gov> wrote in message
> I went for a ride in a cab of a diesel engine the other
> day and afterwards I wondered why cars and trucks don't have
> petrol/diesel engines coupled to the wheels electrically.

The huge dump trucks used in the Pilbara mines (known as "Haul paks") have
axle mounted electric traction motors powered by diesel engines. This
configuration is identical to that used on diesel electric locomotives. The
reason being no standard gearbox could efficiently deal with the loads
hauled by these monstrous trucks.

(Reference - "Moving Mountains" video on Pilbara railways).

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane Australia.

Reply to mattyq1009@dingoblue.net.au