Re: [melb]Swanston don't want W-Class

D. Lindstrom wrote:

> Yes, I suppose that's a good point. Many of the City Circle trams that I see
> go by and jammed full. I suspect there are plenty of locals taking advantage
> of the free ride.

If you recall, Jeff Kennett promised prior to the 1993 state election to
make all central city trams free. Prior to the election Joan Kirner's
government had approved the construction of the link tracks needed to
build the City Circle line (essentially, new track in Spring Street from
Bourke to Flinders, but also some new curves/junctions).

When Kennett was elected, he reneged on the promise to make all city
centre trams free (because of the cost) and instead said operating the
City Circle line without fares honoured that promise.

Lots of tourists do use the City Circle but of course so do lots of
locals. However remember it only operates after 10am.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand