Re: Pt Pirie question (was longest train)

Mark Bau <markbau@altavista.com> wrote:

> When did trains stop using the Pirie platform BG & SG.

I think just after "The Alice" (Sydney/Alice Springs)
was killed around the end of 1987, the Coonamia bypass
had already eliminated the reason for other pass trains
calling into Port Pirie.  The Alice "called" in to PP
along with other gunzel goodies such as stopping at the
Finke River bridge and the millionth concrete sleeper
TAS monument.  Ah, he said, they don't run pass trains
like that anymore.!  GSR, are you listening.?

> What happens at Pirie now, yard still work, the wharf, loco depot?

Just ore trains from Broken Hill, which will cease in
the not too distant future..

> I ask because just this week I have been printing some old (1978) negs. I
> took the BG to Pirie and basically wandered around the place all day taking
> as many pics as I could before reboarding the BG back to Adelaide. That
> train was called the "East/West" wasn't it? Strange cos the damn thing went
> north/south!
>
> Tell, if I sent you a pic of a pass in the Pirie platform would you be able
> to tell me if it was the IP, Trans or Ghan?

Please do, and include date and I will "have a go".

----Tell
<< Remove net after @ for email reply. >>