Free Travel/Airport Line

Hello

Cityrail ended up, after much farnarkling, offering free travel on the
airport line.

On Monday I rang 131500 three times and got a different story each time
as to the free travel on that line.  Then, finally, at 4.40pm on
Tuesday or so, I rang twice and got the same story (from different
operators).  So I used my free trips to collect a mate from the
airport.

Impressions :

The platforms are way too narrow for travellers with any sort of
luggage.

The lack of refuges in the tunnels (there are signs in the stations at
the tunnel mouths warning of this) seems very dangerous.

Mascot station appears to be nowhere near Mascot, or at least the main
drag of that suburb.

Luggage space didn't seem to be a problem, mainly because there were
very few people using the line.  That goes for all the stations.  I
arrived at Domestic about 25 mins after two 767s had arrived on the
7.45pm Melbourne flights of the two 'competitors' in the domestic air
market.  Hardly anyone took the train. Is it a signage problem ?

I am sure this has been debated before (I have not seen the postings),
but why did they just not duplicate and electrify the Botany Goods Line
to get an airport line ?  Eventually, could they not have extended the
duplication etc over to Matraville and then built to Maroubra, Coogee,
Bondi etc and joined up with the Eastern Suburbs line ?  Building a
whole separate line for the airport and two stations which currently
seem to be in the middle of nowhere seems a bit of a waste.

Cheers

Ben

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.