Airport line alternative routes was Re: Free Travel/Airport Line

<bscaro@hotmail.com> wrote in message 8h4qqa$b26$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8h4qqa$b26$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
snip
> Mascot station appears to be nowhere near Mascot, or at least the main
> drag of that suburb.

> I am sure this has been debated before (I have not seen the postings),
> but why did they just not duplicate and electrify the Botany Goods Line
> to get an airport line ?  Eventually, could they not have extended the
> duplication etc over to Matraville and then built to Maroubra, Coogee,
> Bondi etc and joined up with the Eastern Suburbs line ?  Building a
> whole separate line for the airport and two stations which currently
> seem to be in the middle of nowhere seems a bit of a waste.

One of the reasons for having goods lines is so goods trains can use them -
this is already a problem in Sydney with curfews and Freightcorps highly
praised Botany shuttles wouldn't be possible.

Mascot is in the middle of nowhere except next to Qantas head office and
other office accom. Both Green Square and Mascot will find significant
increases in commercial and residential density in the near future - some of
these developments already underway. Also Wolli Creek.

Maroubra needs a line too - maybe under Anzac Pde if no light rail. Not via
Bondi Junction  as this is long way round.