Re: Status of the Wallaroo line [SA}

There are huge silos at Wallaroo, all very active together with the port.
Much of the grain is probably grown on locally on Yorkes Peninsula, an
exceptional wheat growing area I believe.
The railway line was standarised (dual guage? I can't remember) from
Snowtown approx. 1984, but has been disused for the last 5-10 years.
Sulphuric Acid from Port Pirie was a traffic that also used this line until
recently.
There is a preservation group that run trains (?) between Wallaroo and
Kadina.
All the line from Snowtown to Wallaroo was in situ in 1997, but I believe
the other local lines have been lifted (eg. to Moonta and towards Port
Wakefield).
BTW - Moonta, Wallaroo and Kadina are well worth a visit; lots of historic
buildings etc.

Anyone with better information?

Regards
Ed