Re: Holistic Govt Rail decisions ????

On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 18:12:43 +1000, "Dave Proctor"
<daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>"Ashley Wright" <ajwright@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>397a9c9e.116138426@news.ozemail.com.au">news:397a9c9e.116138426@news.ozemail.com.au...
>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 13:25:03 +1000, "Dave Proctor"
>> <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>>

>> >Umm, six slots is three takeoffs and three landings, at present there are
>> >often seven or eight flights per hour in each direction between SYD and
>MEL
>> >(mainly in the peaks though) and reducing this to three or four per hour
>> >achieves the six per hour reduction in movements that David mentioned.
>>
>> 7 or 8 is still quite a large amount, QANTAS between 0600 and 1130 run
>> every half hour, with an extra flights at 0645 and an internation
>> flight at 0805. Ansett is half hour up to 11:00 also. That equates to
>> 8 slots, plus Impulse and Vigin. So the calulation still stands that 6
>> slots is 50% peak and 100% off peak.
>
>And again, you were referring to majors, David was referring to all
>movements, and his calculation stands.

Who other then QANTAS, Ansett, Impulse and soon to be Virgin Blue fly
SYD/MEL. If there are any others out there then they should be
banished to start with (Internationals excepted). Don't get me wrong I
think the feds should fund part if not all of a SYD/CBR/MEL high speed
rail link, I just cannot see how using Davids calculations you could
say that the slots freed up would make that much difference to not
need Badgerys creek.
 Ashley Wright, Canberra, Australia
 www:  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ajwright