Re: Holistic Govt Rail decisions ????

On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 13:25:03 +1000, "Dave Proctor"
<daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Umm, six slots is three takeoffs and three landings, at present there are
>often seven or eight flights per hour in each direction between SYD and MEL
>(mainly in the peaks though) and reducing this to three or four per hour
>achieves the six per hour reduction in movements that David mentioned.

7 or 8 is still quite a large amount, QANTAS between 0600 and 1130 run
every half hour, with an extra flights at 0645 and an internation
flight at 0805. Ansett is half hour up to 11:00 also. That equates to
8 slots, plus Impulse and Vigin. So the calulation still stands that 6
slots is 50% peak and 100% off peak.

>Also, why would the international flights still have to fly the SYD to MEL
>sector? Plenty of international carriers only serve one of these ports, and
>it would be an easy matter for the train to be brought into the airline CRS,
>effectively meaning through ticketing and fares - as the proposal is to run
>it via YSSY anyway (YSSY is SYD airport) it would be quite an easy matter to
>ticket someone from MEL to YSSY on the VHST and YSSY to wherever on
>whichever airline they were flying on.

  Many airlines use them as possitioning flights, and extensions of
existing flights. I personaly find it a pain to have to change planes
from International to Domestic in Sydney to get to Canberra (but
obviously there is not much that can be done about it), but I don't
think too many internationals would want PAX changing to a train in
Sydney, nor would I think the PAX would do it either!
 Ashley Wright, Canberra, Australia
 www:  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ajwright