Re: Holistic Govt Rail decisions ????

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 06:48:06 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>Extending it to Melbourne would take a significant number of flights out
>of Sydney airport. 25% of existing air passengers (or 1.3 million per
>year) moving to Speedrail would free up about 6 slots per hour at Sydney
>(3 takeoff and 3 landing). 10 slots per hour if you include Canberra
>patronage. Probably another 16 slots per day if you include most/all of
>the Albury traffic. There would also be a proportional decrease in air
>traffic in Melbourne and Canberra.

  How did you get 25% of air passengers equaling 6 slots? For the
maths to work that would mean you have 12 take offs and 12 landings
per hour from Sydney to Melbourne which does not happen, even if you
do count the internationals who would still need to fly SYD-MEL
anyway. During the peak hours where our majors run an aircraft each
half hour that only equates to about 8 movements (2 landings and 2
take offs each for Ansett and QANTAS), plus maybe 2 each for Impulse
and Virgin. By my calculations the above trafic equates to 12 slots in
peak, and 6-8 slots off peak! So yo free 6 slots per hour you need
about 50% of the traffic in peak and 80-100% off peak!
 Ashley Wright, Canberra, Australia
 www:  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ajwright