Re: Holistic Govt Rail decisions ????

"Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
lRge5.42817$N4.1576024@ozemail.com.au">news:lRge5.42817$N4.1576024@ozemail.com.au...

> Maurie Daly wrote in message ...
> >
> >Well,if the feds spent the same amount of dough building a VHST from
Sydney
> >Melb as they seem prepared to spend on Badgerys creek then we could have
> >totally funded railway.
> >
> <snip>
>
> Assumptions behind building a new airport at Badgerys Creek
>
> It will be commercially viable which means it will earn a significant
> premium over what the capital cost could be invested in a safe investment.
> This means that the Commonwealth could ultimately sell the airport for at
> least what it cost.
>

> Assumptions behind building VHST to Melbourne.
>

> I need help here.
>

> I assume this comparison is being done in the Transport Minister's office
as
> we speak. The fact that the minister's statement can be interpreted this
way
> is a step forward. If the VHST cannot stand up to this process then it's
> justification gets down to the level that it should be built because
> railfans want it.

There is also the political implications, where we have a National Party
Transport Minister (with all of the ramifications involved with a second
Sydney aiport, regional airlines, the costs of those airlines flying into
Sydney, and the costs to country electorates) and the fact that a VHST would
allow a National Party Transport Minister to avoid a lot of those difficult
decisions. Given the fact that the Coalition would be looking to hold on to
every seat that it can at the next election (due to the GST - don't get me
wrong, I am a fan of the GST, I am in front because of it) they will try and
avoid alienating seats it already holds. The VHST will help the National
Party to do this.

Dave