Re: Holistic Govt Rail decisions ????

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:36:14 +1000, "James C" <noemail@emailsux.com>
wrote:

>> Whats the arrangement for getting a VHST into the center of >Melbourne.?
>> Presumably it will terminate a Spencer St which means either a >dedicated
>track
>I think there was a plan to build the terminal at Spencer street utility the
>space between platform 14 and the old goodsshed.
>
>> thru the suburbs or using in part the existing SG line which would >have
>to be
>> electrified to 25 kv AC.

  They could use 1.5Kv DC like the rest of the Melbourne system,
although obviously the SG track at present isn't electrified.

>> This would rule out any possibility of double stacking in the future.
>Have the VHST line degin to cater freight trains, Most of the TGV lines in
>France are able to handle freight traffic, hence to cut down operational
>cost especially at night when there is no trains running, at the same time
>freight train can gather faster speed as well....also what's the dimension
>of TGV-Duplex(Double decker TGV) versus Double stacker wagon? if they are
>the same then TGV line have no trouble to take double stacker freight
>trains.
>
>If the VHST train ever run , is it still feasible to rerun traditional loco
>haul sleeper service(with lounge/dingin car etc) at night between Sydney and
>Melbourne?

  Which TGV lines are able to handle freight except for the special
mail trains which are TGV's? TGV lines are build with rather high
gradiants which allows builders to keep a relativly straight track. As
a result TGV's have high tracaction effort to get up and over the
hills. I cannot imagine too many standard freight trains attempting
that. That being said IMO if the Sydney/Melbourne line was built with
a lower average gradiants then it should be possible to run freights
at night, afterall TGV track is just standard track, albeit with in
cab signaling!
 Ashley Wright, Canberra, Australia
 www:  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ajwright