Re: Holistic Govt Rail decisions ????

> Whats the arrangement for getting a VHST into the center of >Melbourne.?
> Presumably it will terminate a Spencer St which means either a >dedicated
track
I think there was a plan to build the terminal at Spencer street utility the
space between platform 14 and the old goodsshed.

> thru the suburbs or using in part the existing SG line which would >have
to be
> electrified to 25 kv AC.
This is possible, there are spaces along the SG track, or build on top of
the Citylink, just like one of the high speed rail line in Germany which
elevated above a highway, no doubt it would be expensive, but I think
Citylink take a more direct route to the North then the SG line via
Sunshine.  It would be interesting to see how they tackle the build up area
around Footscrary and Sunshine area.

> This would rule out any possibility of double stacking in the future.
Have the VHST line degin to cater freight trains, Most of the TGV lines in
France are able to handle freight traffic, hence to cut down operational
cost especially at night when there is no trains running, at the same time
freight train can gather faster speed as well....also what's the dimension
of TGV-Duplex(Double decker TGV) versus Double stacker wagon? if they are
the same then TGV line have no trouble to take double stacker freight
trains.

If the VHST train ever run , is it still feasible to rerun traditional loco
haul sleeper service(with lounge/dingin car etc) at night between Sydney and
Melbourne?

> Also has anyone seen this supposed report which states that a Melb -
Sydney
> VHST would take at least 5 hours .
I think this is wrong, XPT can probabily get to this speed if some
modification to the current track and rolling stock( tilt) involved.
Non stop VHST would probabily take 2.5 hour for this journey.

While Sydney and Melbourne Speedrail looked on track, what about
Brisbane-Sydney then? Brisbane-Sydney  strech also just as busy as
Sydney-Melbourne stretch and XPT takes forever to get to either destination.

Cheers
James