Re: Brief trip report MEL-CBR-MEL and thoughts on 737 vs A320 cabins.

Taliesin Walker wrote:

> Also, won't travelling on the train fare be less than the airfare? I heard
> that the coach class fare would be similar to the bus? Is this true?

If yo want to build a reliable passenger train service that is also fast, it
required dedicated tracks that are not used by freight trains,
electrification, fencing, and building of bridges. The minute you have level
crossings, it generally limits the allowed speeds. (if the train hits a truck
at high speed, it isn't just the truck that gets smahed, it is the whole train).

As a result, you end up with a very expensive infrastructure for your train
service. You'd see fare that are competitive with low fare airlines, not the buses.