Re: Brief trip report MEL-CBR-MEL and thoughts on 737 vs A320 cabins.

"Skippy" <fowler9@skippy9spammeifyoudare.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
8le82g$erm$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk">news:8le82g$erm$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
> (cross posted to aus.rail & misc.transport.rail.australia-nz &
> rec.travel.air)
>
> Here is another case for the SpeedRAIL alternative. Would you have gone by
> train if it was comparable to flying time. By that I mean the time it
takes
> to get from your house to the airport, check-in board depart land pick up
> bag (if any) then get to your destination against leaving your home,
getting
> to the station, boarding the train, arriving at destination.
>
> In this case the station is in the city centre (ok CBR will need a new
> station but MEL is Spencer St).
>
> If the journey was only 2.5 hours (guess) by train from station to station
> would you change on such a short flight route?

Considering city-centre to city-centre journey times, it would probably be
comparable. The clincher would be reliability, the knock on effect of delays
at Sydney airport impacting on MEL-CBR flights, and the lack of delays on
the train, might be what swings many people over on this sector.

Dave