Re: Britain's Transport 2010 Scheme

"David Bennetts" <davibenn@pcug.org.au> wrote:
>Interesting to read of Britain's Transport 2010 scheme -
controversial and
>will it take off?  Involves 60 billion pounds for rail, 30
billion for
>roads, 26 billion for local transport schemes (including 25 new
light rail
>systems!), and $3.2 billion for new London Transport
initiatives.

>Refer
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_842000/842890
stm
>for details.
>
>Look at the proportions of expenditure - twice as much for rail
as road.  No
>doubt motorists will be whingeing but does Britain want to
become a vast
>carpark under concrete?  Or another version of Los Angeles?
>
>Meanwhile, returning to our haven down under, where's our far
sighted
>governments leading our transport toward 2010?
>
>Regards
>
>David Bennetts
>Canberra

I'm already seeing the benefits of their foresight as most of my
work is from the UK. With the exception of the (NSW) South Coast
Electrification Project (which I'm currently working on) there's
not much else happening in Australia. However in the UK it's a
deluge. On current forecasts, there is a shortage of 80
signalling engineers to do the work that's already in progress.
And that will get worse with future demands. Anyway check out
http://www.wcrm.co.uk and
http://www.railtrack.com/projects/t2000/ for details.

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer
Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com