Re: NSW. North Coast XPT Service.??????

"Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
cPFa5.33603$N4.1308076@ozemail.com.au">news:cPFa5.33603$N4.1308076@ozemail.com.au...

> I lived on the North Coast from 1980 to 1988 and travelled between Lismore
> and Sydney at least once or twice a year by public transport. When I was
> doing it most (1986-87) I generally used Kirklands bus rather than the
Gold
> Coast Motorail. The GCM was diabolically slow and uncomfortable even for a
> railfan. If PTVs are available for use on buses I would think that times
> will become very difficult for Countrylink on the North Coast. What with
> cheap air fares between capitals what will be the point of replacing the
> XPTs when they get old.

Which was the point I was trying to make. The XPT's serve a purpose, but
Countrylink needs to reninvent themselves for that market, and become a
tourist operator rather than an intercapital operator. If purely an
intercapital operator, they wioll not survive, as the airlines will price
them out of the market.

Dave