Re: Bracks supports VHST to Melbourne

"David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
1_Ba5.161$Ra3.681103@news0.optus.net.au">news:1_Ba5.161$Ra3.681103@news0.optus.net.au...
> James C. (james_ccj@my-deja.com) wrote:
> > TGV tracks (LGV) can take normal freight trains as well, SNCF let
> > freight trains run over its Altanitc line since 3 years ago.
>
> Provided they maintain the 17t axle load limit.

Isn't this the axle load for hish speed trains, and designed to minimise
track forces produced at high speed?  Wouldn't a train travelling at a much
lower speed produce less track forces and thus allow higher weights? When I
sya lower speeds, I am still talking about much higher journey times than
are now possible using either the SYD-MEL line or the Hume Highway, and
travelling at night (when the majority of trucks travel) would ensure no
disruption to passenger traffic. The same approach could be taken as that
used for maintenance in the Channel Tunnel, i.e. bi-directional signalling,
with relatively frequent crossovers between the two lines, thus allowing for
planned maintenance at night.

Also, wouldn't it be possible to engineer the line from the construction
phase to allow for higher axle loads?

Dave