Re: Bracks supports VHST to Melbourne

I don't know why governments are so keen on public/private
sector "partnerships" for rail projects. With few exceptions, roads are
not funded on this basis, so why should rail?

I'd rather the government abandoned the VFT project and instead started
fixing up the 19th-century alignment of the line from melbourne to
sydney. That way we could have both a MFT and FFF.

As it stands, the VFT will not take a single B-double off the hume
highway.

Vaughan

> But what really sticks in my craw is that private enterprise does not
want
> government funding on the VHST project - they want tax incentives,
i.e. it
> would be government revenue foregone. But if the project does not go
ahead,
> then the government would not have received that revenue anyway, so
they are
> in effect losing nothing. Based on what has been said about the
project thus
> far, it is only government approval for the tax incentives that is
holding
> it up. Why are they so concerned about revenue foregone?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.