Re: Bracks supports VHST to Melbourne

In article <39698c0a$0$11208$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au> "James C" <noemail@emailsux.com> writes:
>From: "James C" <noemail@emailsux.com>
>Subject: Re: Bracks supports VHST to Melbourne
>Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:57:55 +1000

>David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
>Jafa5.125$7B5.543750@news0.optus.net.au">news:Jafa5.125$7B5.543750@news0.optus.net.au...
>> After the Centenary of Federation stuff finished in London, Victorian
>> premier Steve Bracks rode to Paris on Eurostar. Part of the journey (on
>> the French side, at 300km/h for maximum effect) was in the cab. He said he
>> was "sold" on the technology and fully supports extending a Sydney -
>> Canberra VHST to Melbourne by 2010. His government would commit funding to
>> a feasibility study and match any Commonwealth concessions, possibly
>> through waiving charges and facilitating land acquisition.
>>
>> Cheers
>> David

>It was in Herald sun as well, according to the paper Victoria state
>government will put money towards Melbourne extension of the Sydney-Canberra
>Speedrail.  Federal government welcome the move but hope Steve can put
>pressure on NSW government to show some interest in Sydney-Canberra project.

>Cheers
>James

The problem here is that the last thing we need is more feasability studies.
There is nothing to study,this concept has been studied to death going back as
far as the original VFT project.
If Bracks wants a VFT / HST whatever you want to call it between Sydney & Melb
then the only way he will get it is if he can persuade The NSW Govt and the
Feds and his own Govt to wholly pay for the complete project.
The SNCF doesnt get the private sector to pay for its hi speed lines.
What is needed is some decisive action otherwise in 2010 the Govts will still
be studying the proposal.

MD