Re: Mayor attacks upgrade of Port Augusta's rail lines

In article <tkaa5.22$7B5.391580@news0.optus.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: Mayor attacks upgrade of Port Augusta's rail lines
>Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 02:14:49 GMT

>The Mayor of Port Augusta, Joy Baluch, has described an upgrade of the
>city's rail lines as "a disaster waiting to happen". Ms Baluch says she
>has major concerns about the $3m. improvements being carried out by the
>Australian Rail Track Corporation, and says they could lead to an accident
>on the scale of the Granville train disaster in Sydney.

>http://www.abc.net.au/news/regionals/port/monthly/regport-10jul2000-1.htm

Its been a while since Ive been thru Pt Augusta by train , but I cant remember
any major problems with the existing line.
Sure trains dont go thru the station at main line speed , but its a lot better
than the existing alignment thru Wodonga for example.
I suspect that its more about sour grapes .
Back in the AN days Pt Augusta was a major railway town , and after the sale
of AN and the creation of ARTC , ARTC moved all the major train control
functions to Adelaide,thus decimating Pt Augustas single major industry.
Apart from the Power Station there isnt much left.

MD