Re: NSW. North Coast XPT Service.??????

just to add to that, the north west xplorer was at least 30 late today, so
in terms of on time running, don't expect too much from interstate
trips--just like plane trips. one little stuffup and on time running blows./

"Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
vjka5.295645$MB.4969692@news6.giganews.com">news:vjka5.295645$MB.4969692@news6.giganews.com...
"Mylorace" <mylorace@aol.com> wrote in message
20000710092034.20969.00000029@ng-fl1.aol.com">news:20000710092034.20969.00000029@ng-fl1.aol.com...
> Hello again.
> Could any of you, who are regular riders on the NC XPT, Syd- Macksville
and
> return, give me an objective opinion on the service for this trip for the
first
> 6 months of this year.

I have caught it on three occasions this year - once to BNE (NT1/NT4) once
to Coffs Harbour (NT25/NT2) and once to Taree (NT1/NT26) and all trips have
been reasonably good.

> I had my last return trip in Nov 99, and due to the appalling lack of any
kind
> of quality service, and very bad on time running, have chosen to
Fly/Drive, on
> my fortnightly trips since then.

Running was ok, lost time out of Sydney but had generally caught it up by
Taree.

> This has cost Countrylink 14 return 1st class fares, (no concession, full
> fare).
> The thing is, I would much prefer to catch the train, if the service was
half
> reasonable, and close to on time, as Fly/Drive is.
> And as for on time running, am quite prepared to call 15-20 mins late, as
on
> time.
> but not the 90 and 120 mins that was common back then.

Have not seen that this year.

> Oh! and Jack, unless you have learnt what service means, since you last
made a
> mug of yourself, don't bother replying.

I agree - Jack suffers from the problem of working for them (not that this
is a problem) and therefore knows the difficulties that staff members face.
But those who pay the bucks to travel on the service don't care about the
difficulties that the staff face, they are faced with two alternatives -
arrogant, surly staff (who are faced with problems) and polite staff (who
are also faced with problems) - all things being equal (seating
availability, convenience of timetables, etc) they are going to go with the
one where the staff are not rude and arrogant.

This is not the staff's fault - or perhaps it is. The paying customer does
not care about the difficulties that the on-board staff face, all they care
about is the overall quality of their trip, and if the on-board staff
detract from the quality of that trip (even if justified) then those who
have a choice about their mode of travel will choose other modes.

> Thanks in advance for any current advice and recent knowledge.

No probs.

Dave