Re: 4D here to stay (VIC)

dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote in
<NrR95.63$SD6.385485@news0.optus.net.au>:

>There is a big difference inside a 4D compared to a Tangara. The 4D is
>smaller in all dimensions and has very different electrics.

Can you actually back up this claim? From what I have read of a 4D guards
manual, most of the components are the same, and the only difference is the
physical size. The only two reasons a Tangara and a 4D can't run MU now
(other than guage) is the fact that 1) The Multi-Function Coupler (aka
Scharfenburg) is set up differently. The Tangara has it's accessory
connector located above the coupler and the 4D, as with Comengs have their
accessory connectors located left and right of the coupler itself. 1) The
4D is programmed differently. That's right, program the 4D to be Tangara
spec, and it will run at Tangara spec with no problem whatsoever. From old
publications, I am also led to believe it was also delivered in this
condition, and only later reprogrammed to suit the Comeng specification.

I am waiting for evidence (other than long delivery times of parts since
everything has to be shipped from NSW as no spare parts are kept here) to
suggest that the Tangara and the 4D have a completely different electrical
system at least. I will not deny that there are differences between the two
as far as the physical size goes, and many of the differences that the
passengers see, but the way it runs is the same.

Michael

--
     Email: michael {DOT} kurkowski {AT} gunzel {DOT} net
          (Any mail sent to usenet.spam@gunzel.net

                Tolulene, you know what I mean.